Jonathan Geissler February 27, 2019 No Comments

When any type of big or destructive storm is expected, you need to make sure you take the right steps to ensure your assets are covered.

The first step? Check your insurance policies because not all of them cover the following expenses:

  • Tree or any other debris removal
  • Water damage
  • Water/Sewage back-up (for sewers, drains, sump pumps, or related equipment)
  • Additional expenses if you are forced from your place of living

It’s in your best interest to know and understand the limits of your coverage and your deductible amount. Your independent insurance agent is available to assist you and go over your policy details.

Here are some other tips when preparing for a storm:

  • Check your auto policy and make sure you have comprehensive coverage; this will take care of flood damage to your car.
  • Because homeowners and renters insurance do not protect you from flooding, consider investing in flood insurance.
  • Perform a home inventory and make sure it’s updated with photographs or videos of every part of your home. This includes serial numbers and models of your more costly possessions. That way, in the event you lose any of these things in a storm, you will be properly reimbursed for those items.

After a storm passes, look around and see if you suffered any damage or loss. Here are some tips on what to do if you need to submit a claim:

  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the loss.
  • Take photographs of the damaged property.
  • Get instructions from your insurance provider before repairing damaged property. Your insurer may need to do an inspection before claims are paid.
  • Keep all your records protected.

For more information, Please give your independent insurance agency a call at 845-986-1177. We are your business, home, auto, and life insurance solutions provider, partner, and adviser, serving Warwick, Greenwood Lake, Florida, Goshen, Pine Island, Middletown, Chester, Monroe, Newburgh, Orange County, and the Hudson Valley and Tri-State Area.