Summer – that time of the year to get away for a much-needed vacation (especially after the year we all had)!
It’s also that time of the year you leave your home unattended for a few days — sometimes even weeks.
Before you head out, make sure that you mitigate the risks that come with leaving your home unoccupied for an extended period of time. Here are some suggestions:
- Don’t broadcast it. Don’t reveal your vacation plans or timeline on your social media accounts, and remind your children likewise. Criminals lurk online, eager to burgle a home when they know its residents are away. Also, don’t change your voicemail messages on your home or cell phones to say that you are away.
- Make your home look occupied. Looks are deceiving, so make your home appear as if you’re still in it. Utilize timers for exterior lights, put a hold on mail and newspaper deliveries, and even have a neighbor you trust periodically park your car in a different spot.
- Secure your home. Security systems can only do so much. You can also:
- Add security lights with motion sensor to potentially scare people off.
- Close all window latches.
- Disconnect the garage door opener and lock it manually to protect it from criminals who may be able to crack the code.
- Move your most valuable belongings to a safe or a bank safety deposit box.
- Don’t leave your spare house keys in an obvious place (like under the rock to the side of your front door steps!).
- Shut off the ringer on your telephone so it cannot be heard outside.
- Use a deadbolt to secure doors.
- Minimize the potential for damage. Shut off water lines, make sure your washing machine, dryer, and dishwasher is turned off, and unplug small appliances and electronics to prevent damage from a power surge.
Lastly, remember that the best defense is a watchful pair of eyes, so ask a trusted neighbor to look in on things while you are away, and have them alert you if they notice anything suspicious.
Now…go enjoy that vacation!
Contact our insurance specialists at 845-986-1177 to learn more. We are your business, home, auto, and life insurance solutions provider, partner, and adviser, serving Warwick, Greenwood Lake, Florida, Goshen, Pine Island, Middletown, Chester, Monroe, Newburgh, Orange County, and the Hudson Valley and Tri-State Area.
How Trampolines Affect Your Homeowners Insurance
The Most Common Homeowners Insurance Exclusions
Does Your Homeowners Insurance Cover Flooding?