Beware of exclusions in your insurance policy
That said, you can’t afford ignore them, especially when it comes to your home. It’s a harsh world out there, and one small oversight can potentially drain your savings in an instant. Here are some of the most common homeowners exclusions:
- Earthquakes, landslides, and sinkholes. Unless you’re in Florida or Tennessee, you’ll need separate policies for these disasters.
- Flooding. You’ll need a separate policy for that too…
- Mold. The only time a standard homeowners policy covers mold is when it stems from a sudden leak in your plumbing. Key word – sudden. For any mold damage associated with long-term leakage, home maintenance, construction defects, or floods, you’re unfortunately on your own.
- Wear and tear.
- Wind damage.
- Infestations, such as bedbugs, termites, and mice.
- Uncle Sam. If the government confiscates any belongings, condemns your home, or takes over your land, homeowners policies will not help you cover the cost to repair or replace your property.
These are just some of the more common exclusions in a basic homeowners policy.
We hope you read your policy thoroughly. We are here to help answer any questions, so please give us a call at 845-986-1177 if you’d like us to clarify the fine print. We are your business, home, auto, and life insurance solutions provider, partner, and adviser, serving Warwick, Greenwood Lake, Florida, Goshen, Pine Island, Middletown, Chester, Monroe, Newburgh, Orange County, and the Hudson Valley and Tri-State Area.
Find out before an event causes the axe to come down on your life.